(Page 3 of 8)
Find the right approach
Your doctor's surgery
Commercial Slimming Organisations
Very Low Calorie Diets (VLCDs)
Be Weightwise and webwise
Commercial Slimming Organisations
Many people find belonging to a group very supportive, and are often very successful.
They can offer:
- Skills and strategies
All cost money to attend weekly, though some GPs offer sessions with commercial slimming organisations on 'presecription'.
The three most popular ones in the UK are: Weight Watchers, Rosemary Conley Diet and Fitness Clubs, and Slimming World.
- The weight loss programme is based on the POINTS® system where individuals are given a number of POINTS values that are personal to them, to use throughout the day. The programme is flexible – it’s up to you how you spend your POINTS values.
- POINTS values are based on the calories & saturated fat within a portion of food or drink. It’s a simple system that helps you to create a calorie deficit for healthy and sustainable weight loss and to follow a healthy diet that is low in saturated fat.
- Learning and building healthy habits is an integral part of the programme with skills and strategies to help you change your everyday habits and build activity into your lifestyle, so you can lose weight and keep it off for good.
- Small, achievable goals are encouraged for example a first weight loss goal of 5% of your initial weight.
- Meetings are weekly and weigh-ins are done in complete privacy. Confidentiality is guaranteed with no naming and shaming. There is a weekly healthy weight loss curriculum so you can learn about: healthy nutrition, activity and healthy habits in a supportive environment.
- All group leaders have successfully lost weight with Weight Watchers themselves, so understand the journey of weight loss.
- The Weight Watchers POINTS system is also available to follow completely online at www.weightwatchers.co.uk.
Rosemary Conley Diet and Fitness Clubs
- Members follow the F.A.B diet and possible a booster diet called solo slim, combined with an optional exercise programme adapted for individual fitness levels, for an inclusive price.
- Exercise class options, depending on the instructor.
- Weekly classes typically involve a private weigh in and one-to-one consultation, followed by a 5-minute motivational talk and a 45-minute exercise session to music with a qualified Instructor.
- Promote a healthy rate of weight loss and set realistic weight loss targets.
- In addition to or as an alternative to the classes, there are the Rosemary Conley Diet and Fitness videos, books and magazine which people can follow at home, and an on-line version of the slimming club.
- For more information and for your nearest class, please visit: www.rosemaryconley.com or call 01509 620222.
- Slimming World integrates three key principles to help slimmers adopt a healthier lifestyle:
- A warm, empowering group environment which supports members and promotes behaviour change around eating and activity habits.
- A satisfying eating plan to promote healthy eating patterns for life.
- Activity management to help members gradually increase activity levels.
- The healthy eating plan is called Food Optimising and is based on the principles of energy density and satiety. There are a number of choices available to members so there is a choice to suit everyone.
- Fruit and vegetables can be eaten freely on all choices, so the 5 a day recommendation is easy to achieve with this plan
- Realistic weight loss targets are encouraged (10% weight loss)
- Slimming World accepts pregnant and breastfeeding women with the support of their midwife
- It also supports 11-15 year olds with a tailored programme called Free2Go (they attend free of charge when with a parent or guardian)
- For more information, visit: www.slimming-world.com/health
page 3 of 8